Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Weathered Turquoise Side Table

This past summer, I started working on a furniture project and now several months later...





It's finally finished!


What do you think?  The sides and top of this little side table have been painted, and distressed.  After much hemming and hawing, I chose to leave the drawers, legs and hardware since I quite like their vintage look and the burl wood veneer.


BEFORE





If you'd like to create a similar look, here's the how to...


Prep
Give the table a good washing and remove drawers.  Sand the surfaces to be painted.  If the surface is a veneer (thin layer of wood), like this particular table, be careful not to over sand.







Prime
A good quality primer, such as Zinsser Cover Stain, is the first layer to go on.  It is an oil-based primer, so inexpensive throwaway foam brushes are a good choice to avoid messy cleanup.






Paint
Time for the first colour.  This is Majestic Blue from Benjamin Moore.  Since we're going for a weathered look here, the visible brushstrokes are intentional... so don't sweat the streaks!






Wash & Wipe
The next coat is a wash made by adding water to Benjamin Moore's Ashwood.  Working in sections, apply the wash then brush off the excess with an extra dry brush.






Sand It
Sanding creates a distressed and aged look.






Seal It
Add a layer of protection with 2 - 3 applications of a clear coat such as Varathane Crystal Clear Diamond Wood Finish.  This is a water based polyurethane that has a clear, non-yellow finish and it's available in a spray or brush on format.





There we have it.  Finally.
For now, the table is in our foyer... a great little spot to place a bowl for mail, small items, and whatever the heart desires at the moment.






As always, your thoughts, comments, and suggestions are welcome.

Do you like the burl wood drawers?  Or do you think I should paint them?  What about the legs and hardware?  Let me know what you think! 


Thanks for stopping by.







I have not been compensated in any way for mentioning the products in this post.
They just happen to be the products that I chose to use for this project.




I'm sharing this with...

Stay At Home Nation
Under The Table and Dreaming 
Miss Mustard Seed

Tip Junkie handmade projects

6 comments:

  1. I really like it. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. turquoise and brown are a forever favorite combo of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Great job, and I like the two tones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that! i have finally figured out how i'd like to paint the dresser i'm hoping to use as a tv stand, and it's going to be 2 toned! thanks for some great eye candy and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.